Updated: Mar 20
With all the changes around the pandemic of the coronavirus and the news being thrown at us these days, it is not easy to take our mind off Covid-19: Staying on top of the news constantly, discussing issues with friends and family and adjusting to the changes in our work and day-to-day life keep us continuously busy. We are consumed by the it. Understandably, our stress and anxiety level rise.
High stress levels are counterproductive to our health and immunity in the body. In order to not to attract the virus in the first place and to not to transmit it to others it is essential to support our immune system. Anxiety, panic and stress are ‘normal’ reactions to this situation. Yet it has been researched that stress and fear compromise our immune system. Emotions such as worry, fear or sadness spike levels of the hormone cortisol which in turn suppresses a healthy immune response.
In this challenging situation, it is easy to forget how to optimize our health and support our immune system. Here are some reminders:
· Limit your exposure to the news: Stay informed and updated but allow yourself to disengage from the news. Take time for self-care!
· Eat a healthy diet including lots of veggies and fruit. Stay hydrated!
· Exercise regularly. Find ways to exercise: Taking online exercise classes, practicing yoga at home, using a stationary bike or going for walks or runs (by yourself) are all good options.
· Have a restful sleep (7 – 8 hours). Avoid screens and news 0.5 – 1 hours before bedtime!
· Allow time for quieting your mind: Reduce tension, decrease stress and calm anxiety with deep breathing, with meditation or with ‘Constructive Rest’. Give it a try!
· Connect to Nature regularly: Go for a walk in the forest or go for a run (by yourself or with members of your household.) Enjoy the spring! Hear the birds sing!
· Enjoy the time with your family. Connect! – Strong social connections help build immunity!
· Reach out to friends and family members (per phone or skype) and offer your ears to listen or your help. It is important to connect in times of ‘social distancing’.
· Take time for reflection: This seems to be a very important time for all of us to re-evaluate our life-style so we can bring change to this world that so badly needs it.
Please note that Balance Arts Studio needs to close its doors and all appointments are suspended until further notice. I will reassess on a week-to-week basis when to reopen.
Bach Flower remedies consultations are available online (zoom) or per phone. ‘Online Body-Mind Awareness Sessions’ might become available in a few weeks. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to me. This is a challenging time for all of us, and I am happy to help when I can! Stay healthy and well!
** Please follow this medical advice to protect yourself and reduce the spread of Covid-19:
Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Using soap and water is the single most effective way of reducing the spread of infection.
Do not touch your face, eyes, nose or mouth with unwashed hands. Cover your mouth and nose with a disposable tissue or the crease of your elbow when you sneeze or cough. Regularly clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces.
Do not share food, drinks, utensils, etc.
Distance yourselves from others, limit time in public spaces unless deemed essential
Refrain from non-essential travel at this time